Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Seriously, How Bout Them Red Sox

I love the Red Sox. I absolutely love them. That’s why I can tell you that this season sucks.. They are 21-29 and thank God they just broke a 10 game losing streak! They’re tough to watch sometimes, but I just hope that they turn things around soon.

Part of my frustration comes from the fact that I don’t even know why they are so bad this year. They have a lot of the key players that they had last year, and we all know that the Sox won the world series last year! Yes, they lost a few players like Ellsbury, Saltalamacchia, and Drew, but were they that much of a key to the success of the team? 

I feel that many of the players may have some confidence problems at the plate this year for whatever reason. Jackie Bradley Jr actually admitted to feeling “lost” and he may not be alone. The best hitter as far as hitting average is concerned is Xander Bogaerts with a .279 average. That’s not a bad average don’t get me wrong, but he shouldn’t be leading the team with it. Guys like Pedroia, Ortiz, and Napoli are capable of much higher than that. 

The hitting hasn’t been the only problem. The pitching isn’t that hot either! The Red Sox starting rotation has a weak 3-4-5 punch and the combined ERA for the starters is over 4.50. It’s hard to win games when the team is always behind. The bulpen has an ERA around 3.20, but when I watch them I still feel like they aren’t doing good enough. Miller has lost 4 walk off games, Mujica has an ERA over 6, and Breslow allows opponents to hit .313 off of him!

I believe that the Red Sox will turn things around this season when they get completely healthy, get RBIs with runners in scoring position, and solidify their pitching. Until then, I’ll be watching with my fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment