Saturday, July 5, 2014

A Discouraging Season

Over the past few weeks, I've been disappointed by what the Red Sox have been able to accomplish.  They just haven't played at the level of baseball I am accustomed to seeing from the Sox, and I've been shying away from blogging about it, but I can't do it any longer.

The Red Sox record is 38-47 and they are falling further and further out of the race for October baseball.  It bums me out to say this, but they haven't shown enough signs for that to change any time soon; this season may be over.  The pitching hasn't been the problem. Sure they have had issues, but most teams do.

The bats in the lineup have been ice cold, and that's the big problem. The sox have lost 18 one run games this season, that's 38% of their losses that could have been wins with just one or two more key hits.  With runners in scoring position the Red Sox are only hitting .230 as a team.  I'm not gonna point any fingers, but let's just say that we could use more from a defensive shortstop that can't hit or an offensive catcher that doesn't hit homers, and it would be nice if a certain center fielder didn't strike out 32% of the time with that uppercut swing, and if a certain rookie would stop making errors at third base.  Like I said, I'm not going to point fingers, and the whole team needs to step up if they want to make up 8 games in the division.

No comments:

Post a Comment